Maintenance Day…

Took a day off from work yesterday…had to get some stuff done.

1st up was new tie-rods on “Crunchbird” (the wife’s ride). With 150,000 miles of adventures on it, some suspension wear was inevitable. It got shocks and strut-packs a few months ago, but I still needed to get to these.

The old, dead tie-rods...inner and outer, both sides.

The old, dead tie-rods…inner and outer, both sides.

A special tool is needed to pull inner tie-rods, but fortunately the auto-parts store near me will “loan” you one…and by “loan”, they mean sell you a used one at full price, and refund your money if you bring it back. Ah well. Does work!

Now…imagine my surprise when I find that the locking rings on the inner tie-rods are missing. This is a small washer-like thing that seats in a groove in the rack & pinion end, and once the tie-rod is screwed in, is bent over onto the nut faces to keep the tie-rod from unscrewing on it’s own.

The only folks that have ever worked on this was Nissan…when they had to replace components of the steering system after a wreck a few years (and a BUNCH of miles) ago.

I of course, installed new ones with the new tie-rod ends.

Professionals. Meh.

The missing lock ring would have mated with the groove in the picture...and been bent over the nut faces on the tie-rod.

The missing lock ring would have mated with the groove in the picture…and been bent over the nut faces on the tie-rod.

A new wheel to replace a bent one (again) was also on the agenda. Then a quick trip to the local tire shop to get the wheels aligned (I roughed it in, but don’t have the equipment to get the precision needed) and we are done!

More to do…but at least this is done…and we didn’t lose our steering and die due to missing parts…so…yanno…a positive thing!

CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer

This entry was posted in Blog. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply